Welcome

Welcome to my Western Pennsylvania garden. Join me on a "Walk Down the Garden Path".

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Green Beans ~ A Couple of Salads

It's Thursday and time for the weekly food fest hosted by A Way To Garden and Dinner Tonight. On the menu today is Green Beans, so if you are looking for a new recipe to use up those green beans or if you have one to share, check it out.

I have two bean salad recipes I'd like to share. The first one I made last week. I had some green beans that had to be used up and this made a great lunch. The second one is based off a recipe from a Southern Living cookbook (I think, that's where the original was from). I've adapted it to how I make it (much simpler). I haven't made it this yet this year though, so I'm sorry, there is no photo.

The great thing about both of these salads is that you can change them to fit your taste or what ingredients you have on hand. Some tasty additions that I can think of right now are corn kernels, using yellow and/or purple beans in addition to the green (which I've done with the second one many times), and changing up the herbs in the dressings to include dill or cilantro. Just use what you have and what you like, it's your lunch!


Marinated Bean Salad




2 cups green beans, cut in 1 inch pieces, steamed tender crisp, then shocked in cold water
1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can butter beans, drained and rinsed
1 Large Tomato, chopped
1/2 red onion, diced

Mix these ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.

Dressing

Juice of one lemon
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons parsley, chopped
2 Tablespoons oregano, chopped
Salt & Pepper to taste

Whisk all dressing ingredients together. Pour over bean mixture and let marinate at least 30 minutes.


Green Bean and Tomato Salad

1 pound green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces, steamed until tender crisp, then shocked in cold water
2 cups red and/or yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
2 large red and/or yellow sweet peppers, cut into bite-sized pieces

Mix these ingredients together in a large bowl.

Dressing

3 Tablespoons olive oil
3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 cup chopped shallots
1 Tablespoon chopped basil
1 Tablespoon snipped chives
2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
1 teaspoon snipped oregano
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Salt & Pepper

Mix all ingredients together in a jar. Pour over vegetables. Let marinate at least 30 minutes.

10 comments:

xxxxx said...

All I can say is yum, and thanks for joining us. Great suggestions for "add-in's," too. At this time of year it is sort of a potluck of whatever looks best, or what you have a bounty of. See you next week for tomatoes!

tina said...

I love these types of salads, as do the family. I am still going to make the mock crab cakes-soon!

Cindy said...

Margaret ~ Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you solved your technical issues.

Tina ~ You'll have to let me know how they like those mock crab cakes, I hope it's a success!

DP Nguyen said...

Those salads look so delicious! And they are healthy too. I will have to try your dressings sometime. Yum!

Rose said...

These both sound delicious! I occasionally make the old standby three-bean salad, but the dressing seems too heavy. Both of these recipes sound lighter. I'm going to have to bookmark this and try it out with my next picking of green beans.

Eve said...

I love fresh salads. You just use whatever veggie you have on hand. These sound really good.

I love green beans and although I don't plan on putting any more in the freezer, we are still eating them fresh from the garden. I like to let a few go and shell some of them to add to the pot, the way my Mama did.

Cindy said...

DP ~ I find it so easy in the summer to eat healthy and flavorful meals, isn't it great!

Rose ~ Let me know how you like them and if the dressing is lighter than what you are used to.

Eve ~ That sounds so good, and a good use of ones that get missed on the bush when picking :)

tina said...

Just wanted to say we miss you! Have fun!

Sarah said...

Hi, I made this for dinner tonight. I used black beans and my green beans were a yellow variety. I ran out of lemon juice so I did have to substitute some lime juice and vinegar, but it was still delicious. Thanks!

Cindy said...

Sarah ~ That sounds so good with the black beans and yellow beans. The great thing about these types of salads is that you can use whatever you have on hand.